Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Getting back on track

When i started training for triathlon I started planning/logging my daily workouts in an excel spreadsheet, one that now has 8 tabs for the 8 years i've been doing it. Since i'm a bit of a data junkie it allows me to look back & see how much i trained & when, how well i raced and what types of preparations i did for those races. All good stuff and I could go on for hours about the things I've learned by analyzing my training history.

When i looked at 2008 and the weeks following the Wilderness 101, i saw that i jumped back into training fairly quickly and got sick the following weekend with a cold/fever. I remember how bad i felt, i was laid up for 3 days, in August when i wanted to be hanging out with my family in the sun at the beach. So this year i dialed it back after the 101, ran twice for a very short distance, swam twice during the week and once in the lake on the weekend.

Lucky me, as Jack came down with Coxsackie virus, a dirty little virus that is common in kids and spreads like wildfire. It doesnt effect adults much but I wsa up at night with him throughout the weekend so i'm sure i would have gotten nailed if I hadn't proactivelt dialed myself back. He is on the mend and sleeping through the night now, albeit still a little uncomfortable from the rash that comes with the virus.

I started back into the routine yesterday, ran 45 mins in the morning nice & easy to break back into it, then did a hard 2000y in the pool at lunch. Then rode in today. After 8 days off the bike I felt good and i was on par with where i was two weeks ago, which is a very good sign for the weeks to come. Time to build the run volume back up, keep swimming consistently and hard, and up the quality on the bike to prep for racing in September.

2 comments:

  1. Hopefully Jack recovers fully quickly.

    Sounds like you made the right choice now for what you're doing later. Where are you racing in September ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably the Westport Sprint on Sept 7th, the Fairfield Sprint on Sept 21st, & then possibly the ITPman in Dariend on Sept 28th (which has a fairly short swim and a nice & long 18-mile bike & 5-mile run.) Plus there's an offroad duathlon in November that i did last year and want revenge on (i was on antibiotics for brochitis & came in 5th last year...) check it out - www.dirtyevents.com

    ReplyDelete